Johnson & Galyon Celebrates Century of Valued Relationships, Successful Projects and Community Involvement
Knoxville, Tenn. – [February 11, 2014] – Few companies have played as significant a role in building Knoxville as Johnson & Galyon over the last 100 years. Not only has the company helped create many of the city’s most recognizable landmarks, including the Knoxville Civic Auditorium and Coliseum, Riverview Tower, Whittle Communications Building, East Tennessee History Center, and Knoxville Transit Center, it has also maintained a strong belief in giving back to the local community. For a century, employees of Johnson & Galyon have sustained a culture of volunteering time, donating money and serving on boards of such organizations as the United Way, Emerald Youth Foundation, Boys & Girls Club, Knoxville Area Chamber of Commerce, The First Tee of Greater Knoxville, and several Colleges of the University of Tennessee.
“At Johnson & Galyon, our rich tradition of meeting the construction needs of the Knoxville region since 1914 is important to us, but even more special is the large number of relationships we have been able to make and maintain throughout the community,” said Doug Kennedy, CEO. “We’re proud of the fact that our buildings have touched so many lives over the years, and we’re excited about contributing to and being a critical part of East Tennessee’s growth into the future.”
Johnson & Galyon has been in continuous operation in Knoxville as a general contractor since 1914. Founded by A.H. Whisman, the firm’s ownership evolved to W.K. Johnson, who joined the firm in 1919 as a bookkeeper, and J.E. Willard, a respected civil engineer, and was known then as Johnson & Willard. In 1942, E.L. Galyon joined the company as an estimator and the company soon became Johnson & Galyon, a term now synonymous with the highest levels of construction quality, tradition and innovations throughout East Tennessee.
Today, Johnson & Galyon continues to be a Knoxville-based, employee-owned company with a full staff of approximately 100, including management, engineers, architects, accountants, superintendents, foremen, and skilled craftsmen. A testament to their work, the company has established several relationships spanning more than 50 years, including those with Covenant Health, Carson-Newman College, the University of Tennessee, East Tennessee Children’s Hospital, City of Knoxville, Knox County, and Cherokee Country Club, among others. Notable Johnson & Galyon projects over the years have included:
“Almost without exception, Johnson & Galyon has been the construction experts we have looked to when we’ve needed to build or renovate our facilities,” said Keith D. Goodwin, CEO of East Tennessee Children’s Hospital. “Their understanding of our business, their ability to find efficient solutions to challenging facility needs, their historic understanding of how we got to where we are, and their sensitivity to our pediatric patients and their families make them our partner of choice. It’s no surprise that they are continuing to thrive after 100 years in business.”
For more information on Johnson & Galyon history, work, people, and community involvement, check out www.johnsongalyon.com.
About Johnson & Galyon
Founded in 1914, Johnson & Galyon has become a leader in the construction industry in East Tennessee by valuing people, performing with integrity, exceeding client expectations, and providing exceptional construction services. The name Johnson & Galyon has become synonymous with the highest levels of quality, tradition and innovation, regardless of the industry or size and scope of the project.