Knoxville, Tenn. – There are a number of food drives planned for the end of summer and beginning of fall in and around the Knoxville area. Listed below are Second Harvest Food Drives scheduled for August and September as well as a list of the ongoing collections.
- Knox County Schools’ First Days – August 17 & 18
- East TN Irish Festival – August 22, 2009 – The 2nd Annual Irish Festival will be held in World’s Fair Park. This festival is a celebration of Irish Culture and features traditional music, dance, cuisine, beverages, workshops, cultural exhibits as well as contemporary venders, an inflatable jungle gym for kids and much more.
- 6 Shares High School Football Challenge – Fall 2009 – High Schools across East Tennessee are paired with a rival High School, competing to see which school can raise more food and funds for Second Harvest Food Bank. More than 20 high schools have signed up for this year’s 6 Shares High School Football Challenge.
- Hola Hora Latina Festival – September 18-21
- Apple Tree Nursery – Ongoing – Second Harvest will be the beneficiary of the sale of Japanese red maples (Acer Plamatum), as part of an ongoing promotion by Apple Tree Nursery. Fifty percent of the sales of the Japanese red maple trees will be donated to Second Harvest Food Bank.
A number of other ongoing collections are taking place at a variety of organizations in the area, including: Knoxville Jewish Alliance, Temple Beth El, Camping World, Superior Financial Services, Baha’is of Knoxville, Consolidated Products Inc., Stonewall II Apartments, Wyngate Homeowners Association, US Dept. of HUD, Howard Baker Federal Courthouse Building, High Places Community Church and Christian Family Church.
For more information, please visit www.secondharvestknox.org.